Digital designer with an industry background in customer support and community coordination for a large software company. Experience in various fields from designing and programming digital products to producing and publishing them.
Chequered Ink Ltd, Bath, Managing Director (June 2015 – present)
YoYo Games Ltd (PlayTech), Dundee, Community Co-ordinator (September 2013 – June 2015)
- A core aspect of this job was handling social media and public relations for the company. I generated an 18% increase in Twitter followers to over 10,000 with no budget, as well as vastly increasing engagement with the company’s “Marketplace” and “Player” products to exceed ambitious weekly targets.
- Built strong relations with clients, developers and business partners who were interested in the company product line.
- Represented the company at several large public events including Game-In Scotland, GDC 2015 and the D&A Game Jam, providing support to existing users and marketing the product line to potential customers.
- Frequently provided direct creative input on the look of the website and other online marketing materials to generate the best message to achieve the company’s goals.
- Wrote copy for the company website, press releases and community forum posts, in a clear and exciting way, as an important aspect of this role.
- Resolved customer issues with our product to a high rate of satisfaction and was quickly entrusted with handling the most difficult requests from our top developers.
- As a very fluid role this position also included Quality Assurance for games and software, programming assistance where required and content management for the company website.
- Under this role I also volunteered to be one of the company’s fire marshals, completing a fire safety training course.
Self-Employed Designer, Bristol & Dundee (February 2012 – June 2015)
I operated a website called Wormintheworks.com which features my own games, apps and other digital goods. Most of these goods were designed and completed by myself from start to finish, giving me valuable experience in planning and publishing commercial products. As of May 4th, 2015, the games and applications available at Wormintheworks.com had generated the following amount of installs:
- iPhone & iPad installs: 300,210
- Android installs: 51,550
- Windows Phone installs: 11,330
- Windows Desktop & Mac OS X installs: 16,000
- In June 2013 I created three game development starter kits for Microsoft for use with GameMaker: Studio. The kits were released at the GameOn digital event and allowed new developers to quickly create games for the Windows 8 modern UI.
- In April 2013 I worked closely with DataRays Studios and Jesse Venbrux to deliver a browser game for Burger King Lebanon which featured during their Go Mega promotion later that year.
- I have also designed graphics for the Green Party of England and Wales on numerous occasions for use in both digital and printed media.
- Other clients of mine include singer-songwriter Orla Gartland, Bristol Gold buy-back service and top London Jeweller Charles Goode.
For more information on my design projects visit the work section at DanJohnston.eu.
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficient in HTML5, CSS3, GameMaker: Studio and the GameMaker Language (JS-like)
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud products (Fireworks, Dreamweaver)
- Copy-writing experience and an eye for design, especially in the context of marketing a product.
- Savvy with social media, including knowledge of the best practises to maximise reach and engagement.
- Full end-to-end publishing experience on Windows 8, Windows Phone, iOS, Android, Amazon Kindle and Mac OS X.
- Experience developing for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, Ubuntu, OUYA and Tizen.
- Full UK driving license if travel is required.
Hanham High School (September 2004 – July 2011)
- A levels: Biology (A), Chemistry (C), Physics (D)
- AS level: Maths (D)
- Diploma in Digital Applications (DiDA – Level 2)
- GCSEs: (2 A*, 6 A, 1 C and 1 Merit)
Personal Interests and Goals
Outside of work I enjoy various team sports, during my time in Dundee I have played a lot of 5-a-side and 7-a-side football games, and I’m always happy to play cricket or softball. I also have a passion for music and often attend live gigs, especially those of independent or up-and-coming artists.